Don’t Get Burned at the Door!
The doorbell rings, you pause and ask yourself, “Am I expecting someone?” When you open the door, it could be a child selling cookies or a stranger with a clipboard. We all like cookies, but beware, not everyone at the door has a sweet deal for you.
No matter what the offer is on a product or service, remember it’s your doorstep and your decision. Many Ottawa homeowners have unfortunately discovered the “deal” they signed up for includes long-term commitments, exit fees, or high rental rates – especially when it comes to contracts dealing with your home comfort needs such as heating, air, electricity, and water heaters.
What They May Tell You
Some door-to-door sales agents employ unscrupulous tactics when it comes to trying to make a sale. Below are examples of misleading practices some door-to-door salespeople employ:
- Telling you that your current provider is no longer in business and they are taking over the contract and service of your water heater
- Dressing as a technician and saying they’re in the neighborhood to schedule water heater replacements
- Implying they represent the government or a utility
- Showing you safety bulletins implying your water heater isn’t safe anymore and that you have to replace it
- Telling you incorrectly that if your water heater is over a certain age, it’s inefficient
- Showing you pictures of water heaters cut in half to show corrosion inside, implying your water heater is in the same condition
- Citing savings of up to 30% that only applies when switching from electric to gas
- Describing a locked-in term as a "guarantee and maintenance plan"
What They May Not Tell You
- Who they are working for
- That you may be locked into a long-term contract
- If you try to break the contract there may be high exit fees
- That their rental rates are higher than your current provider
- Significant energy savings may only apply if a customer converts from an electric water heater to a natural gas water heater
- Even replacing a 15-year-old water heater will only save about $6.30 a month in energy costs, before you even consider the cost of the water heater*
- Water heaters are designed to work for years without accumulating rust buildup
- Water heaters are installed according to the code at the time of installation
Don’t just sign the dotted line. Do your research first!
If you have any questions about your water heater, don’t hesitate. Contact Holmes Heating today at 613-236-8449 and we’ll be happy to help.
*At a cost of $0.30 per cubic metre of natural gas